Our patron – Saint Lucy (click here)
History of Saint Lucy’s Parish, Middletown, RI
1951 February 21
A 30 acre plot (Brookfield Farm) was purchased by the Diocese of Providence from Dr. James Callahan for the purpose of establishing a church, school, and convent.
St. Lucy’s Parish was founded and Rev. James P. Casey was appointed Pastor.
First Mass celebrated in the Anchorage Hall on West Main Road, now the site of the Middletown Public Library.
Ground was broken for the Church and the Diocese gave permission to build a church for approximately $150,000. There were approximately 660 families in the parish.
First Mass celebrated in St. Lucy’s Church
The Diocese gave permission to build a school and convent for approximately $750,000.
The school and convent were blessed on the feast of St. Lucy.
School transitioned from a Parish sponsored to Regionalized, Diocesan school now known as All Saints Academy.
Less than an acre (0.92) of land was sold to defray the cost of building the rectory. That parcel, with frontage on West Main Road, was sold for nearly $100,000.
The Diocese gave approval to build a new rectory for an approximate cost of $125,000.
The rectory opened for use.
Rev. Eugene J. McKenna is appointed Pastor.
The convent was converted to Lucy’s Hearth, a shelter for women and their children.
The Parish Council recommends construction of a new church building and renovation of the existing church for use as a Parish Center.
Ground breaking for the new St. Lucy’s Church.
First Mass in the new Church.
Dedication of the new Church.
50th Anniversary of St. Lucy’s Parish with Jubilee Year events, activities and celebrations.
Rev. John W. O’Brien is appointed Pastor, Rev. Eugene J. McKenna is named Pastor Emeritus.
St. Lucy’s Parish focuses on six Areas of Mission: Parish Life; Worship & Spirituality; Christian Education; Social Justice & Peace; Family Life & Youth; Finance & Administration.