Congratulations on the birth of your child! Or, if you are new to the Church, welcome to a faith-filled community that eagerly anticipates your communion with the Church.
Baptism at St. Lucy’s – Usually takes place the Second Sunday of the month, excluding Lent. Parents are encouraged to initiate preparation for baptism prior to the child’s birth. At that time information will be provided regarding the time and place of the required preparation classes and the administration of the sacrament.
- Parent(s) registered in the Parish
- Copy of Birth Certificate (child to be baptized)
- Baptisms take place the second Sunday of each Month exluding Lent
- Regular Baptism Dates:
- Easter Sunday Mass – 11:00 AM
- All other Baptisms – 12:00 PM (subject to change)
At least one godparent is required. There may be two, but they must be one man and one woman.
“For the grace of Baptism to unfold, the parents’ help is important. So too is the role of the godfather and godmother, who must be firm believers, able and ready to help the newly baptized – child or adult – on the road of Christian life. Their task is a truly ecclesial function (officium). The whole ecclesial community bears some responsibility for the development and safeguarding of the grace given at Baptism.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1255)
Most people have a false understanding of what a godparent truly is. I am sure you have heard it said, that if anything happens to the parents, the godparents will raise the child. But is that what being a godparent is all about? No, in fact, the role of the godparent is to be much more than someone to take care of the children if something happens. In fact, that may not even be their role.
So what is a godparent? A godparent is to be a witness, an inspiration, a rock solid example of what it means to be a Roman Catholic in today’s world. That means that the person must be a Catholic not only in name but by the life they lead each and every day.
Most people do not know the Church’s requirements for a person who is to undertake the role of godmother or godfather. In the Code of Canon Law, a book with the laws that govern and guide the life of the Catholic Church, there are specific regulations regarding sponsors (godparents) for the Sacrament of Baptism and Confirmation.
CLICK HERE Sponsorship Form
The requirements for godparents are:
- be not less than sixteen years of age.
- be a Catholic who has received the Sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
- be registered and active members of their parish. Regular participant at Sunday Liturgy.
- be living in conformity with Catholic morals and in good standing with the Catholic Church (if married, married according to the laws of the Church).
- may not be the mother or father of the person to be baptized.
- they must obtain a Sponsor Certificate (must have Church Seal), attesting to their fulfilling the stated requirements, from the parish in which they are a registered member.
- See Baptism Preparation Class requirements below
Before asking someone to take on the role of a sponsor, please be sure they fulfill the requirements of the Church. This will save the person from embarrassment and the family from being disappointed. The Priest has a responsibility before God and in justice to be sure these requirements are fulfilled!
Baptism Preparation Class
We require all parents and godparents to attend Sacramental Preparation Classes. Once you have called the rectory to plan for the baptism of your child, we will have someone contact you to see up a special appointment for Preparation Classes. These classes are usually done one on one with each family and are conducted by a couple who are well prepared to teach and assist in Baptismal preparation.
- Complete Baptism classes: both Parents and Godparent(s) (and in some cases, the child is included). Godparent(s) may attend the Baptism Class here, at St. Lucy’s, or at their own Church.
- Classes are offered the first Tuesday of the even-numbered months of the year at 7:00 PM in the Parish Center (please call to register for class).
- Classes (for parents or sponsors) may be waived if taken previously (cut off time = 3 yrs.). Please show proof of class.
Please contact Jane Parrillo, Director of Adult Faith Formation, at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about this Sacrament through St. Lucy’s Parish.