History of Saint Lucy’s Parish, Middletown, RI

1951  February 21  - A 30 acre plot (Brookfield Farm) was purchased by the Diocese of Providence from Dr. James Callahan for the purpose of establishing a church, school, and convent.

1951  May 23 - St. Lucy’s Parish was founded and Rev. James P. Casey was appointed Pastor.June June 10 - First Mass celebrated in the Anchorage Hall on West Main Road, now the site of the Middletown Public Library.
September 16 - Ground broken for the Church; Permission granted by Diocese to build a church for approximately $150,000. for an approximate 660 parish families.

1952  June - First Mass celebrated in St. Lucy’s Church

1963  November 20 - Diocesan permission granted to build a school and convent for $725,000.

1964  December 13 - The school and convent were blessed on the Feast of St. Lucy.

1971  July 4 - Rev. Timothy Gillen appointed Pastor.
September - School became Regionalized: NCCRS.  Now a Diocesan school known as All Saints Steam Academy.

1977  April 30 - Less than an acre (0.92) of land was sold to defray the cost of building the rectory. That parcel, with frontage on West Main Road, was sold for nearly $100,000.

1978  June 21 - Diocese approved building a new rectory at a cost of $125,000.

1979  May - The rectory opened for use.

1983  April 28 - Rev. Eugene J. McKenna appointed Pastor.

1984  September 23 - Convent  converted to Lucy’s Hearth, a shelter for women and children.

1987  April 6 - Parish Council recommends construction of a new Church building and renovation of existing Church for Parish Center.

1989  June 10 - Ground breaking for the new St. Lucy’s Church.

1990  March 3 - First Mass in the new Church.
August 5 - Dedication of new Church.

2001  50th Anniversary of St. Lucy’s Parish with Jubilee Year events, activities and celebrations.

2008  July 1 - Rev. John W. O’Brien appointed Pastor, Rev. Eugene J. McKenna, Pastor Emeritus.

2021  July 1 - Rev. John C. Codega appointed Pastor, Rev. John W. O'Brien, Pastor Emeritus.
70th Anniversary of St. Lucy's Parish.